Friday, March 16, 2012

Technology: A Luxury and a Curse


Technology, what a wonderful part of our world today. Smart phones are capable of doing amazing things these days (although I miss playing snake on my Nokia 5110). We have airplanes that can essentially fly and land themselves. Video games are more real than ever. I was watching a commercial the other day and was excited about what I thought was this new action movie being released soon. Come to find out, it’s a video game. It looked so real though! We can video chat with people from virtually anywhere on the planet. Medical technology is mind blowing and is steadily improving every day. Don’t get me started on cars.  They can actually park themselves now. Where in the hell was that over a decade ago when I was freaking out about hitting the curb on my driving test. Parking themselves is just the start to what cars are capable of doing. I could go on for a long time about the different technological luxuries we enjoy today that were once only considered science fiction. Think about it, aside from flying cars and living in outer space, both of which are close to being a reality, we’re not that far away from living like The Jetsons.  

However, is technology playing somewhat of a negative role when it comes to relationships? Not just romantic relationships but all types of relationships. That is the bases of today’s discussion. Too often we choose to send a text, email, Facebook post/message, or a Tweet instead of picking up the phone and calling someone. These types of electronic communication seem to always win over having a face to face convo. Why is that? I understand it saves time to just shoot a quick text but is it necessary all the time? Sure, during the grind of the day it is easy to send an email to someone so you don’t disrupt your work flow too much. I understand and, admittedly, I am guilty of doing it as well. However, I often sit and wonder when it is acceptable to communicate through technology and when is it not. Being nearly 2000 miles away from most of my family and friends, it’s hard to stay up to date with everyone. I rely on a random text, email, or Facebook update to keep me in the loop. My days get so busy that I just don’t have the time to talk on the phone. But you have to wonder if it’s the fact that I don’t have time or is that I do not make time? Instead of sending a text to my best friend, why don’t I pick up the phone and call? I could even set up a Skype convo. Rather than Facebook stalking a family member, or friend, why not spend that time hearing their voice on the other end of the phone? We all need to be more conscious of the fact that having a face to face (or voice to voice) convo with someone should always take priority over communicating via text, email, Facebook, etc., when possible. The connection you have with someone when hearing their voice, or talking to them in person, cannot be achieved through something like an email. If that were possible, we wouldn’t have the need to take someone out on a date or hang out with friends. We could just email or text all of our interactions and feelings: “ok, im picking you up now,” “you look so beautiful,” “we’re walking to the car,” “we just got the restaurant,” “oh yeah, I’ve had the lasagna before, it’s good.” Seems ridiculous doesn’t it?! But so many of us use this type of communication to establish and/or continue relationships with others. Today, when a man and woman swap numbers, they’re usually not waiting for a call anymore. No, they’re waiting for a text. I have seen two people meet and instead of switching numbers, they added each other on Facebook on the spot. They both had their phones out and were searching for one another on The Facebook. Really?! I was amazed at what they were doing. One of them said, “Message me when you want to go out.” I have a better idea, why don’t you get her number and when you want to go out, call her and ask her out...verbally! 

Now, I understand why people prefer electronic communication. It gives them a sort of confidence. They can be whoever they want through text or email. They can send a text without the anxiety of hearing/seeing the other person respond in a way that is not in their favor. For example, if someone doesn’t want to go out with you, sometimes it is easier to be turned down by text than to have the words of them turning you down play over and over in your head. On the other end, if you really don’t like someone, you can be short with them much easier through email than you can if they were sitting across from you. Also, you can respond to that email when you want, if at all for that matter. The way I see it though, if you have the stones to turn someone down in a text, then have the courage to tell them to their face or at least verbally. [Random Disclaimer: I don’t want to sound insensitive, BUT if the person is a complete creeper or stage 5 clinger, then by all means only talk to them electronically (actually you probably should talk to them at all)]. Also, as long as you won’t be in danger by doing so, don’t you dare break up with someone through text, email, or some social networking site. That is just wrong and disrespectful. If they meant enough to you to date them, give them the respect of telling them to their face. When I hear about someone dumping their girl/boy-friend over Facebook, it pisses me off. That is incredibly immature and downright triflin’. Someone should round house you in your esophagus after you just stubbed your toe on the corner of the wall in the middle of the night and then when you fall to the ground they hit you with a fierce monkey knuckle on your funny bone before they viciously donkey punch you in your jejunum…Sorry, I blacked out, where was I? Oh yeah, Electronic communication! And another thing, these days there are too many people on their phone while they’re socializing with friends or on a date. Unless it is an emergency, your friends, date, or whoever you’re are with should have your attention. You can check your emails and tweets after you’re done. Now, if you’re looking up something pertinent to your discussion and plans for the night that is fine. But having your face buried in your phone as you get the latest score update while someone is trying to have a conversation with you…not acceptable, ever! Be attentive to your company. Just as you want their undivided attention as you speak, return that courtesy to them as well. 

Again, I am sometimes an offender of the issues discussed above. I’m human which means I am not perfect. However, I challenge myself, and all of you, to make an effort to change. Or at least do your best to be more aware of the instances when your electronic/technological dependency is interfering with your obligation and need to engage in a face to face (or voice) conversation with someone. 

Put your phones down and step away from your technology driven life every once and a while and have an old fashion conversation with someone. 

Justin

p.s.- DON’T TEXT AND DRIVE!



This clip sort of goes hand and hand with today's topic: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGXylVz6KI


 


No comments:

Post a Comment