Thursday, March 15, 2012

My friend Paleo and I..


On May 16, 2010 I made one of the best decisions of my life and started Crossfitting. After being unable to participate in intense workouts for over a year due to having my lower backed fused, I was excited to get back into the swing of things with Crossfit. Little did I know that I would be getting involved with a community of great people who are all working hard and doing their best to get better every day. It has been nearly two years since I started Crossfitting and in that time I have progressed significantly as well as received my Certification as a Crossfit Football Coach. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful an experience I have had to this point at Capstone Crossfit. In my time as a Crossfitter, I was introduced to the Paleo Lifestyle. This will be the primary topic of today’s blog. A friend asked me to share my experience with Paleo and that’s what I intend to do. 

For those of you that do not know, the Paleo Lifestyle (or Paleo Diet) is basically the idea of eating the way people did back in the Paleolithic Era. Essentially, it is eating the way cave men and women did during this era. In a simple explanation, you eat: lean meats, veggies, nuts & seeds (excluding peanuts), some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. Also, no processed food, no legumes/beans, limited salt, no grains (this includes corn), no dairy (this is debatable though), no fatty foods, no rice, no oats, no wheat, no bread, no pasta, no sweets, and no fruit juices or soda. At the bottom of this post, you will find a link to a website that has full lists of foods to eat and not eat. 

My first real experience with Paleo was when our gym did a 90 day Paleo challenge. For that time period we were to go strict Paleo. We did a bench mark workout as well as a Max Pull Ups test at the beginning and end of the challenge. Also, our body fat percentage was recorded at the beginning and end as well. This would all allow us to see the change in our body composition and fitness level due to the Paleo diet. The first 30 days were tough. The cravings for non-Paleo foods were intense but I pushed through. I do remember having to [clear throat} poop {cough under breath} a bunch during the first few weeks as well. I’m pretty sure my body was cleansing itself of all the crappy foods I had stored in there. After week two, I did notice an increase in my energy and my ability to go harder during workouts. Also, my recovery time was noticeably decreased and my body didn’t seem to ache as much as usual. I would generally go strict Monday through Saturday. On Sunday I would have a cheat meal. However, I would do 30 burpees, for time, on Monday morning to pay for my cheat. Also, if I did have a cheat meal during the week, I would do 30 burpees for every cheat. After the first month, my body seemed to be completely adjusted to the Paleo lifestyle. The last 60 days were relatively easy. Aside from a few craving here and there, it was actually enjoyable. I got to the point that when I would have a cheat meal/snack, the food wasn’t all that good to me anymore. None of it tasted the same and I would sometimes feel sick from eating that crap. That was just more motivation to stick to Paleo. At the end of the 90 days I had added 10 reps to my pull-up max, dropped nearly 2:30 off my workout time, and my body fat percentage was significantly less. On my own I weighed in before and after. I had lost over 25 pounds! I think it is worth mentioning that I was doing two workouts at least 3 times a week. The 90 day challenge was a great experience and I have been committed to incorporating Paleo in my everyday diet after the challenge ended. Although I do not always go strict Paleo now, whenever I feel myself in the mood to diet, I will resort back to Paleo and the result are always positive. 

One of the challenges I face with Paleo is getting burned out on the limited food options. Plus, some of the more creative recipes require ingredients that aren’t that cheap. I can’t seem to bring myself to pay $12 for a small bag of almond flour. I’m sorry, but I won’t do it! Haha but seriously, being strict Paleo can get fairly expensive so I stick to the basic meal plan. But all that aside, there are some really delicious Paleo recipes. I’m fairly simple though. Therefore, for my main meals, I have a lean meat, some veggies, maybe some fruit, and water. For breakfast I will make a Paleo shake (recipe below). For snacking, I eat baby carrot sticks, unsalted nuts, or a small portion of some fruit. When I eat at a restaurant I will order a salad with an oil based dressing rather than a creamy based dressing. If it is not a salad, I will order a baked or grilled chicken dish with steamed veggies as my side. I sometimes go with steak too. Another good option is to order a fajita dish but don’t eat the tortilla’s. That dish usually comes with the meat mixed with peppers and onions so it’s a great Paleo option. I will admit though, Paleo options are fairly limited when dining out. However, I am a firm believer that if you’re working hard and doing well with your diet, a cheat meal won’t be terrible. You’ll be fine as long as you do some extra work, such as burpees, to pay for the cheat. 

Overall, Paleo is awesome. The results are undeniable. Also, you are sure to feel much more energetic and healthier. Not to mention, it is always a good feeling when you’re getting dressed and your clothes are too big. Yall know exactly what I am talking about! Your stamina is also positively affected as well. You just seem to have the ability to work harder and work longer. For me, this was noticeable during workouts at the gym and uhhh extracurricular activities outside the gym..if you get what I’m saying, wink wink! Haha, sorry I had to put that in there.

Annndddd on that note, good luck with your Paleo future!

Justin


Paleo Shake Recipe
(Please note: there are many of similar recipes out there. I was just experimenting one day and it worked. Little did I know that others had already perfected the recipe)

Chocolate almond milk (any flavor will do and amount depends on how much shake you want)
Almond butter (big scoop with a tablespoon)
1 banana
¼ - ½ cup of some type of berry
Generous handful of baby spinach leaves
Honey (amount depends on how sweet you like it)
Flavored Greek yogurt

** Blend it all together and enjoy. I usually make this before I leave for work and when I get there I throw it in the fridge so it can chill. After about an hour of chilling, I enjoy! If you want it to chill quicker, throw it in the freezer. Be sure not to leave it in the freezer too long though. The shake ice chunks don’t taste that great ( I learned the hard way).

Paleo Food List Website:
http://www.paleodietfoodlist.net/paleo-diet-food-list/#Foods%20You%20Can%20Eat%20in%20Moderation


1 comment:

  1. Great article. I started crossfitting a year ago and did the 30 day paleo challenge in sept. 2011. I am still following it although allow myself to cheat every now and then
    Never felt better and thanks to Crossfit I am in the best shape of my life!

    ReplyDelete