I want to start by thanking everyone who has taken the time
to read my blog to this point. Writing out my thoughts has become a source of
therapy for me in the past couple months. Many of you didn’t know this but my
anxiety has been at its most severe lately. However, I am doing my best to
change certain things about my environment and personal habits to help ease my
anxiety. One crucial change I have made is to stop worrying about everything
and everyone. I have a tendency to take on the problems of the people around me
as my own. When they hurt, I hurt. When they need help, I work my brain
tirelessly to find a solution. I will self-sacrifice in every way to ensure the
people around me are taken care of with whatever they need. The biggest issue
with this generosity is that I stopped caring about myself. My life quickly
turned into sleepless nights, poor eating, buried emotions, disregard for
health issues, and many other negative habits. No matter how much my friends
and family tried to get me to stop investing so much into others, I couldn’t.
Making people happy was my only concern. If that meant I didn’t sleep for weeks
at a time because I was worried about the well being of someone else, then
that’s just how it was for me. I simply pushed through. Many days I was
teetering on the brink of consciousness from a lack of sleep and poor eating
coupled with an increasing workout regimen. There would be times when for I
would have was a glass or two of water in a three day span but I was doing 2-3
workouts a day. My body constantly felt as if it wanted to shut down but I made
myself push through. In my mind, the people around me needed for me to be there
for them. No matter what anyone said to me, I was never more important than my
friends and family. I didn’t deserve to be cared for and worried about. I wouldn’t
allow people to invest the same time, energy, and money in me as I did them.
Most times I distanced myself from anyone who was persistent in their attempts
to take care of me. I didn’t know how to accept generosity; I could only give
it out.
At this point I want to confess a bit about my past that I
have never told anyone. This may have a big part to do with why I struggle so
much with allowing other to care for me. Also, it may help explain why I give
so much of myself to others.
My senior season of
college football was Fall 2008. My last two years of college ball were plagued
with chronic back issues. Between 2007 and 2008, I had two back surgeries.
During season, I would have weekly epidurals in order to play on Saturday’s. At
times the pain was so unbearable I would intentionally take double the pain
medication dosage to make my body and mind go numb. The hardest part of this
all was having to miss our senior game versus Fresno St. This game was the ESPN
Friday night game of the week. There were two reasons why this was so tough.
The first reason is that this was the last game of my long and wonderful career
as a SJSU Spartan. Secondly, I didn’t find out until two days before the game
that I wouldn’t be able to play. All those of years of blood, sweat, tears, and
invaluable memories came down to one last game against our rival on EPSN and I
couldn’t play. The doctor told me my football career was over and I would have
to have yet another surgery. And not just a discectomy like the last two, but a
multi-level lower back fusion. So not only did my career end the way it did but
now I had to have my third surgery within a two year span and it was going to
affect the rest of my life. In case you can’t imagine, this was incredibly
tough on me. Many of my family and friends tried to get me to open up about how
I felt but of course I wouldn’t. My usual response was “oh its ok, everything
happens for a reason.” And although I believed that to a degree, another part
of me was emotionally broken. The terrible part about it all, which no one knew
until know, was that many nights I would take 3-4 times the dosage of my pain
meds and chase it with bottles of booze. Night after night, I did this in hope
of not waking up. I did this because physically my back couldn’t have been
hurting any worse than it was. The pain wasn’t just in my back but it shot down
my legs. Many times I would lose feeling in my legs and feet. Along with the
back pain, I was hurting emotionally. My career ended because of injury, I was
lonely, and I was worried about my future. Granted I was semester away from
finishing my Master’s degree and had an extensive professional network in
comparison to most football student-athletes finishing up their college
careers. But for whatever reason none of that seem to make me feel better. I was
sad and lost. Despite all this going on, I wouldn’t allow anyone to help me
cope with any of it. I didn’t want people to worry about me and waste time on
my issues. After my surgery in January 2009 my mom had to come live with me for
about 3 weeks. I needed help with everything. I mean EVERYTHING! Yes that
includes wiping my butt after I pooped. To all my male readers, in case you
were wondering, this is what feeling completely emasculated is like. It sounds
funny, but it’s terrible. Once I was capable of fending for myself, my mom was
able to leave. I was on my own again so I went back to my pain meds and booze
routine. Doing this put me in such a dark place mentally. Thoughts of death
were my normal entertainment most days. I would daydream about how it would
happen and how people would react. I am generally overly optimistic and easy
going. However, during this time period of my life, I couldn’t have been any
further away from my normal self.
Coincidentally, at this time my grandmother was battling serious
illnesses that she had been dealing with for some time. She was normally a
fighter but at the time she was allowing the illness to beat her. My
grandmother and I were extremely close and talked on the phone multiple times
throughout the week. Our Sunday conversations were the most cherished.
Sometimes we would talk for 30-45 minutes. She looked forward to our phone
conversations on Sunday afternoons. She knew how much pressure and stress I put
on myself so she would always say our Sunday talks made her feel better about
all I had going on. One time she told me that our talks rejuvenated the fight
within her. Well one Sunday I was having a bad day with my back and emotions so
decided to take some pills and drink some booze. I never did this on Sundays
because I didn’t want to miss my call with my grandmother. Especially knowing
it gave her strength to keep fighting her illness. However, on this particular
Sunday I disregarded my inner voice saying my grandmother needed me to talk to
her that day and I went ahead and slipped away into my usual numb state of
mind. I feel asleep around 1pm and didn’t wake up until nearly 10am the next
morning. I had missed my call with my grandmother and although I felt bad, I
figured I would just make it up and call her within the next couple days. That
Monday night, I got the call, my grandmother had passed away. I wish I could
articulate the guilt and disgust I had with myself. I chose to take pain meds
and drink to cope with my “problems,” rather than take 45mins out of my day for
my Sunday talk with grandma. I chose to be selfish and put my irrelevant issues
over the needs of the person whose primary reason for living was her
grandchildren. I don’t know if we had talked that Sunday whether or not she
would have lived longer. But I do know, I will never know. That has haunted me
ever since the day she passed. I have never told any of this to anyone. I have
always been too embarrassed and ashamed. From that day forward I vowed that I
would never put myself before anyone else. I would never let anyone ever worry
about me. I was committed to always doing what was necessary to make people
happy and help them solve their problems
.
Since this time, I have changed different things about my
life to help me get better about releasing my emotions. I have also committed
myself to not getting overly involved with solving people’s problems. It is not
that I do not care; it’s just not my job to worry about everyone especially
when it means sacrificing my own well being. As my faith has grown, I am doing
better with letting the higher powers handle the issues around me. This has
also allowed me to let go of many emotions I have buried away for a long time.
I have forgiven people from my past and I am no longer toiling over matters
that are irrelevant to my life. The stories about football, my pain meds and
booze, and my grandmother have been the few things still weighing down my
heart. But on this day, it is all out there. I am accepting everything that
happened in the past and I am forgiving myself for not calling my grandmother
that day. She knows I love her and I know she is watching down on our family.
She is proud of me for all that I have done with my life to this point, and
just like many others, she is anxiously awaiting all that great things still to
come for me.
Here’s to letting go and enjoying life!
Justin
It takes an immense amount of courage to share something like this. Thank you. I'll always be here for you if you need anything and am so glad to see you getting things off your chest and able to start moving on.
ReplyDeleteJP u r amazing for opening up as u have lately. I appreciate u even more. To be honest I always looked up to u even though Im older because u had some much love and respect from our family and I didn't because hearsay and I wasn't like the "Paysingers" but u have always been an inspiration to me. Though we didnt talk or see each other often, the relationship we had as kids has stuck with me til this day. Mama Autumn n the boys never ceased to make me feel apart of her family. I love u very much and pray u continue to heal from ur wounds as I do also.
ReplyDeleteWe all walk different paths at different paces. No one will ever feel the same pains you've felt but by sharing they will know that there is life after them. I look forward to reading more of your post. Keep writing brother.
ReplyDeleteJDub, as I sit here full of emotion, I must tell you that I am extremely proud of you. I took a lot of courage to express your feelings publicly. What you are doing is not only therapeutic for you but it will help many of us. Unfortunately, taking on the issues of others while neglecting yourself is a trait of some of the Paysingers. But you are breaking the cycle. It takes a real man to openly admit that he has had serious personal problems.
ReplyDeleteGrandma was and is extremely proud of you and has forgiven you. We don't say it often enough, but I love you. You are never alone. You have inspired me to reflect and change how I deal with people and relationships.
Thank you for sharing!
Karen