Thursday, April 12, 2012

Random Romantic Tip: Special Justin Edition


This week’s Random Romantic Tip will be little different. Instead of giving a step by step romantic tip, a friend of mine suggested that I share something romantic that I have done in my past. I am usually very hard on myself when it comes to doing romantic things for a girl because I want to make sure it is special. Big or small, the idea has to be legit. My friends probably get irritated with me because I run the idea by them over and over again to make sure it is good. Regardless, the end result usually turns out very well. 

One of my favorite past romantic ideas was a couple years back. The girl and I had been friends for a very long time. A few years into our friendship, we realized that there were deeper feelings on both sides. We often went back and forth with the idea of being more than friends but things just never seemed to pan out. Well not long after I moved to Texas those old feelings presented themselves once again. After this realization of feelings, we talked and it seemed as if things were mutual. At that point, I was convinced we would have a lot of very special memories from that point forward. I had cared about this girl so much for so long and would have gone to great lengths to make her happy. The only catch was that she was still in California and I was here in little ole Lubbock. However, for me, it didn’t matter. She could have been across the globe and I would do everything possible to make it work. Well Valentine’s Day was fast approaching and I had to do something extra special especially since I would not have the chance to see her. I had many different ideas swirling around in my head but I none of them were good enough to me. Too bad Pinterest wasn’t around back then. Anyways, after weeks of ideas and research I settled on a simple and thoughtful yet pretty damn awesome idea (even if I do say so myself). There were two different gifts. The first gift was something I had always wanted to do for someone but just never did. I ordered a small gift package of personalized M&M’s. I was sure to order the M&M’s in her favorite colors. Also, printed on each individual M&M was a small inside saying she and I shared. I’m certain some of yall want to know what it is but I’m not telling! The second gift was my favorite. I bought it from a website called BoldLoft. This company specializes in sweet and romantic gifts. The gift I bought was a set of pillow cases. The pillow cases were white and on one there was a guy leaning over the side of the pillow. All you see is his torso and everything below that part of the body. On the other pillow, there is girl lying in bed with rosy cheeks and a big smile. Also on that pillow is the head and chest of the guy from the other pillow leaning in giving her a kiss. The idea was for me to keep the pillow case with just the guy’s body and she has the other pillow case with the girl and the guy giving her a kiss. With her pillow case, I wrote a note saying something like, “even though we are 2000 miles apart, when you lie down to sleep, these pillow cases are my way of always being able to give you a kiss goodnight.” She was working a job at the time that required her to work long hours and stay in a hotel where the job site was located. Therefore, I sent the gift to the hotel concierge and made sure it was there waiting for her when she came back to the hotel on Valentine’s Day night. Of course with the gifts I included a nice card. I don’t remember what I wrote. However, as I think back to that time, I can think of what I would have probably said to her. The card likely would have said:

                “I wish I was able to articulate how I feel about you, but I wouldn’t be able to do my feelings justice. We have had a great friendship that has blossomed into much more. To me, you are the most beautiful girl I have ever laid my eyes on. Everyday I want to wake up and tell you that you’re gorgeous. Everyday I want to give you a kiss and make the stress of the day fade away. Everyday I want to see you walk into a room and know that of all of the other guys around, you chose me. Everyday I want to see your breathtaking eyes and cherish your amazing smile. Everyday, every single day, I want do whatever it takes to make you feel like the most special girl in the entire world. I look at you and have no doubts that you and I will have a lifelong connection that can never be broken. Regardless of what happens between us, whether we’re together or not, you are and always will be my girl.”

Unfortunately my heart and my emotions as well as my desire to be with her did not match up with reality. She liked the gift but, just as in the past, did not want to commit to being anything more than friends. Although it seemed as if this time around things were different and we would be together, it didn’t turn out that way. And I was hurt for a long while but it is ok! Given the girl, she was worth the hurt. And I know many of my close friends don’t agree because they saw how much heartache I endured. But they will never understand the connection she and I shared. 

Most people, who know me, know that I like to go above and beyond for the girls I like. Once I decide that I have real feelings for someone, I will do something every day to put a smile on her face.  Some of my friends think it is excessive whereas I wish I could do more. When I like a girl, she will know it. I don’t like playing games or beating around the bush. When I am interested past just a friendship level, the girl will know. On the other hand, I like when a girl comes out and tells me she interested in me. Just makes things easier, especially if we both like one another. We can get past all the fluff of guessing and get straight to enjoying being with one another. 

All of you reading this, I challenge you to do just a little bit more everyday to make your partner feel special. Doesn’t have to be anything extravagant but make sure it’s thoughtful. Find little things about one another that make you light up, no matter what your mood may be at the time. Relationships are amazing when you and your significant other sincerely relish in the time you spend together. Don’t let negativity and small issues cause a rift in your relationships. Always remember the good times even when the darkness is overshadowing your happiness. Just ask yourself, if you lost that person tomorrow, would you be devastated? If no, then you don’t need to be with them. If yes, then spend everyday, every single day, making them feel like the most special person in the entire world.

To the next girl that wins Justin’s heart, whoever you are and wherever you are, I can’t wait to be with you!

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment