Many of my blog posts deal with my views on relationships,
chivalry, love, romance, and other related topics. Among those, there have been
posts where I confess secrets from my past in an attempt to finally let go of
those demons. This will be one of those posts. What I am about to reveal has
been a secret that I have never shared with a single soul. Friends and family that
I am closes with have no clue about this. And before I proceed, I want to
apologize to all of them for not allowing them to help me when I definitely
needed the support. I have never been one to share my feelings or let people in,
emotionally, past a certain point. But I assure you I am doing my best to be
better about not closing myself off and allowing others to help me just as I do
for them.
Before I get started, I want you all to know that it took me
a while to muster up the courage to share this story. I am not the first person
to deal with this and will absolutely not be the last. Also, I know there are
many people that have had similar experiences but are in denial and will likely
never admit to dealing with this problem. Hopefully after reading this you will
find it within yourself to face your issues.
With all that said here it goes…In college, around my
sophomore year, I struggled with very intense self-image issues. Thinking back
to those days, I remember absolutely hating the way I looked. My body, my face,
everything…I hated it all. No matter how hard I trained with my teammates, I always
felt like I was putting on weight. My weight would stay consistent and in a
good range for my position but I felt as if I was gaining at least 10lbs a day.
I had young ladies that were interested in me and would tell me that I was
attractive. Despite their flattering comments, I never agreed. In fact, the
more I heard it, the more I felt unattractive. I am a good guy so I just figured
they were being nice and saying nice things although they really felt I was
ugly. Every day, I would wake up and look at myself in the mirror with the
deepest form of disgust for what I saw.
In order to “fix” myself I started forcing myself to throw
up multiple times throughout the day. Anytime I would eat, I soon follow it up
with making myself vomit to get all the food out. Now, I understood all the
health risk associated with this type of behavior. In fact, I was helping other
student-athletes work through similar problems. I wish I could express to you the
hatred I had towards myself as I told a friend how dangerous their actions were
and then I go home and make myself throw up. It was bad, very bad. Soon I stopped
eating all together. In my mind, no food intake would force my body to lose
weight. Within a given week I would maybe eat one actual meal. The rest of the
time, I drank water to help satisfy the feelings of hunger or I would eat a few
pretzel sticks. But if ate too many pretzels I would make myself throw up. From
about early August to the beginning of October, I lost nearly 50lbs. I was
always tired and had zero energy. However, my life had to go on as normal so no
one would catch on to my problem. When my coaches and teammates started to
recognize the weight loss they obviously asked me what was going on. My common
excuse was that I just didn’t have an appetite. My strength coaches would
actually sit at meals with me and watch me eat a plate of food they prepared. I
would force it down, appease them all, and then head home to vomit it up. Sometimes
I would feel so disgusted, that I couldn’t even make it home to throw up. I
would simply pull around the corner into an empty lot and throw up there. My
way of somewhat keeping them off my back was to not let my weight room numbers
drop nor allow my performance on the field to be affected. I would put in extra
time in the weight room to make sure I was constantly getting stronger despite
my severe weight loss. That in turn allowed me to continue my high level of
play on the field because I would simply out muscle my opponents. I will admit,
on a daily basis, while working out I felt as if I was going to pass out. I was
so weak most days but I had to push through in order to keep my secret. One day
we had to max on a certain lift but I was getting light headed from just
stretching. I knew it wouldn’t be long before I passed out. I went to the
bathroom and passed out in the stall. Once I woke up, luckily only a few minutes
had gone by. I threw some water on my face and walked out the bathroom as if nothing
happened. I then went to my bar, loaded my weights, and proceeded to record the
highest max of the day. The entire time I felt as if I was going to faint yet
again. But I forced myself to push through that wall and ignore those feelings.
The more I pushed through, the easier it became to do it every day. Being in
class, at practice, in meetings, or during games, I always felt like passing
out. My vision would get hazy and my body weak. Regardless, I had to push
through. No one could know what was going on. Honestly, after a while, living
this way felt normal. I had become so good at “disguising” the truth that I just
seemed to convince myself that I could go on like this forever. Plus the
skinnier I became, the more defined my face was, and the better looking I looked…at
least to myself. I still had issues taking compliments from people because I thought
they were just being nice to sweet ole Justin.
This behavior went on for nearly a year. Again, I had no
intentions of giving it up. It wasn’t until one day I was in my room having
just made myself vomit that I realized I had to change. As I was sitting in my
room, I felt a sharp pain in my chest that would come and go. After about 5
minutes, my heart started to flutter and I had a cramping like pain in my
chest. With this, I couldn’t breathe either. It was like I was suffocating and
being stabbed in the chest all at the same time. My limbs started to go numb
and vision was blurred. This lasted for nearly a minute but it felt like hours.
My entire body felt like it was shutting
down. I hope you can imagine the fear I felt as that minute passed. Naturally I
thought I was dying. I was alone in my room and my roommate had no reason to
come in to my room. Therefore, it would have been hours until someone found me,
whether I had just went unconscious or actually died. Can you understand the anguish
that would have caused my family and friends? Especially my mother!! Makes me emotional just thinking about it.
Honestly, I’m not sure what happened that day. It could have
been a heart attack, a mere loss of breath, a heart flutter issue, etc…It really
doesn’t matter. What does matter is on that day I understood that incident as
being a direct result of my poor health habits. The food deprivation, forced vomiting,
and making my body exert itself when it clearly did not want to, were all
destructive behaviors that led to that day in my room. I don’t care what anyone
says, in my mind, that’s what caused it all. Admittedly, things didn’t change overnight.
However, I made a committed and conscious effort to slowly get myself better. Slowly,
I started realizing that I was not as “ugly” as I saw myself to be. Also, I was
not gaining weight with every bite of food. I still do not know where those thoughts
came from in the first place. I had always been a very secure person. But something
changed and I hurt myself in very harsh ways. To this day, I have times where I
am not happy with the person I see in the mirror. These occurrences are rare
but they still happen. However, I think back to that day in my room and
remember how awful of an experience that was for me. This helps me push those
negatives thought away and get back to my secure and extremely self-confident
way of life.
As with all my post in which I reveal the darkness from my
past, I do not want anyone’s sympathy. I merely want to let go of these things
that weigh on my heart day in and day out. Also, I trust no one judges me for
the things I shared in this post. It may seem a bit foolish for a collegiate
football player to deal with bulimia and self-image issues. But believe it or
not, I am not the only one. Many people, especially athletes battle with
similar problems. However, many will never admit it to themselves, much like I did
not do for a long time. For those of you in denial about your problems, my hope
is that this blog will help you finally face the truth. Trust me, it feels so
much better to get it out. Please, no more hiding from what is real and no more
pretending it didn’t happen. Face your past and even your present to help
provide yourself with a better future.
Here’s to a better you…and me!
Justin
So glad I got to read this. You'll never know how much it helps to hear someone has struggled (and made it through) some of the same things I've struggled with. You're an awesome person and an awesome friend JPay!
ReplyDeleteThank you Kasey!
DeletePay I miss you buddy...we gotta catch up ASAP got a lot to fill you in on. I'm impressed you had the strength to speak your mind like this, must've been hard to deal with. We gotta talk, I'll leave it at that haha but I miss you bro hope all is well
ReplyDelete-Ben Z
Ben! Thanks for the comment. Yes, lets definitely catch up soon brotha.
DeleteI'm so proud of the strength you showed by opening up about this. It's so hard sometimes to show people the truths in our lives.
ReplyDelete