I have been debating as to whether or not I wanted to write
this post. A few weeks back my friend came to me for advice about a situation
he was having with his girlfriend. We talked out the issues and then started
going in depth about relationships. He’s had a hard time with girls and
relationships so he wanted my perspective on it all. As I started to answer he
cut me off and asked, “What does love really mean? What is love?” I took a moment to process his question. My mind
was swirling with possible responses. However, I quickly realized that there was
no one answer to this question. In fact, love means something different to
everyone. I told him love is not that simple. It’s not that black and white.
There is an enormous amount of gray. Love is internalized depending on the
person and their experiences. He wouldn’t accept this though. He wanted to know
what it meant to me. So I am going to share my response. As I mentioned, I was
hesitant to share this. For me, it’s hard to talk about love. Love is something
you feel and experience. Love is so emotional, that talking about it is hard. I
can rarely articulate how I really feel about it all. I always seem to think
about the girls that I once loved or the ones I can see myself growing to love.
Plus, I can’t tell someone how to love. They have to come up with their own
understanding of love. Regardless, since
he needed an answer to help him feel better, I proceeded to give my thoughts.
Here it goes…
Love is beautiful. Love hurts. It makes you cry. It makes
you smile. Love makes you crazy. Loves is your calm. Love feels great. Love
makes you feel young. It makes you feel worry free. It causes anxiety. Love is
peace. Love is hearing that song that perfectly describes...them. Love is ruthless. Love is staying by their
side when they’ve hurt you. Love is wanting to hear their voice after a long
day. Love is looking in their eyes and feeling pure happiness. Love is a long sensual
kiss for no reason. Love means giving your all to the relationship. Love is never
intentionally hurting them. Love brings you home at night! Love is that feeling
you get when they walk into the room. Love is that smile you get when thinking
of them randomly. Love is always going above and beyond to make them happy.
Love is missing them right after they leave. Love is hard. Love is stressful.
Love is hurting when they hurt. Love is pushing through the tough times even
when things seem severe and irreparable. Love is giving them space when needed.
Love is admitting when you’re wrong. Love is treating each other as equals. Love keeps you on your toes. Love is inspiring. Love can break you down. Love
is being unselfish. Love is putting their needs first. Love is sharing. Love is
caring and nurturing. Love is always putting them first. Some times love is still wanting to be with them despite knowing they are not ready to love you back. Love is letting them go and hoping they come back because you're confident of the great relationship you two could have together. True love is knowing
beyond the shadow of a doubt that they are the one. Love is giving them the
freedom to grow. Love is supporting them in a new venture even when you may not
be able to see their vision. Love is accepting their past and not allowing it to dictate your future with them. Love is random surprises, just because. Love is uplifting.
Love is that feeling in the pit of your stomach. Love is knowing, truly
knowing, that you wouldn’t hesitate to give your own life if it meant making
sure they were safe. Love is telling them every day how much you love them and
sincerely meaning it. Love is accepting them, flaws and all. Love is being
honest, loyal, and trustworthy…above everything else!
Love, my friends, is all that is right in the world. Embrace
it and respect it. Find out what love means to you and let it be your driving
force when you find that person worth your love.
Here’s to love and happiness.
Justin
No comments:
Post a Comment